Messy Cotton Tags with Vellum Butterflies
So 'Let's Talk'
Our new monthly set of posts focusing on a particular product or technique
THIS WEEKS LET'S TALK IS ALL ABOUT ....Messy Cotton Vellum Butterfly Tags
Using up my stash is a passion of mine and in this project I did dig rather deep into my box of leftovers to find that old packet of rubons that I just knew I had. Once I found them, boy, was I happy.
I had that twinkling of an idea moment and wanted to make some vintage looking tags with some of the Kids Mohair Curls that I had just got into the store. As well as incorporate some of my butterflies that I recently printed on Vellum.
I also wanted to work creating a gift for someone at work who has been very supportive to me over the last 2 years and sadly is now moving onto another job. So this project is a little farewell gift from me.
Messy Cotton and Rubon Tags
Firstly download the butterfly and dragonfly printable and fussy cut the black and white butterflies.
- Prima Printery Collection - Emperor 12 x 12 Paper
- Kaisercraft Secret Bird Society Black and White Rubons
- Vintage Book or Music sheet paper.
- Small pieces of lace
- Vintage Washi ( 3 different designs work well).
- Black / White Mini Alphabet Stickers
- Brown buttons
- Wooden Heart
- Kid Mohair Curls
- Black Cotton
- Ribbon or Trim
* You will need: Trimmer, Scissors, Adhesive, 3D tape, Ranger Black Soot and Tea Dye Distress Ink
** The Rubons used were from an old Kaisercraft collection called Secret Bird Society. We have four left in stock. However you could use any nature or bird / butterfly / flower themed black and white Rubons.
*** Instead of using the Prima Printery Cardstock you could use any cardstock with a vintage script on it.
1. Cut your cardstock into 4 tags measuring approx 10x3.5 cm. Trim the top corners of each tag on the angle (to create the tag shape) and punch a small hole in each tag.
2. Ink the edges of each tag with Tim Holtx Distress Ink Black Soot. (Any black in will do).
3. Randomly place old book or music paper strips on each tag. Then follow with a few random strips of vintage themed washi tape.4. Grab your rubon sheet and rub a few butterflies and flowers on each tag. The bird in the image above was from the rubon sheet, however with this one I cut the image out and adhered it down.
5. Layer a few small pieces of lace on each tag. Down the sides or at the bottom is a good place.
6. Decide where you want your vellum butterflies to go and then adhere some kids mohair curls and random strands of cotton down onto the tag. (Wind the cotton around your fingers and sort of fluff it out) Adhere the vellum butterflies to the top of the cluster.
7. Sew some of the black cotton thread into the buttons holes and adhere the buttons. I placed one of my buttons under the black cotton.
8. Ink your wooden heart with the Ranger Distress Tea Dye and Black Soot ink.
9. Use your alphabet letters to create the words you would like on each tag.
10. Add some black gems if desired.
11. Tie some ribbon through the hole at the top of each tag. Don't forget you can just use white ribbon and spritz with colour spray. I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist glimmer Sand Colour. I really am trying to use those sprays up.
Once I got started on this project, I just kept going! I couldn't resist making a little pocket to hold the tags in using the other half of the Prima Cardstock and even created some extra tags from the smaller remaining peices.
As you know I love using my stash up and most of the products used in this projects were from a box of leftovers. There are a few products available in the store such as the wooden hearts and kids mohair curls, as well as the Kaisercraft rubons. Links are below.
I hope you like these tags and find some time to create them yourself.
Leave a little comment below and tell me what you think?